The summer holidays are now underway and for many people this is a time of change. The holiday period often provides an opportunity to ‘break the mould’ and take time away from work and usual tasks such as getting children to school and making sure they do their homework. Children may also be getting ready for change in September – starting school, moving to a new school, starting a job or going to university. These changes in turn provide space for parents and carers to consider what they want to do and how to fill the spare time.
This is therefore an ideal time to review your life and spend some time thinking about what you want to achieve. This may be the right time to consider going back to work after a career break, change of job or completely change how you work by starting your own business!
Stage 1 – Identify your options
- Choose a quiet moment
- Download the attached document –Wheel of Life – Options
- Write down an option in the inner part of each section ie carry on as usual
- Use the outer wheel to rate each option ie 1 = favourite, 2 = next favourite etc
Stage 2 – Decide which option to take
- Download and print 3 copies of – Wheel of Life – +ve -ve
- Identify positives of the change on one side of the circle ie less stress
- Identify negatives on the other side of the circle – ie childcare issues
- Use the outer ring of the wheel to identify one action to overcome each negative
ie Consult grandparents about helping with childcare
I hope you find this exercise useful? You should now have a working document which will enable you to make a rational decision about which option(s) to explore in greater detail.
If you need any help with the process of identifying options and then eliminating unrealistic choices, please contact me for a free and informal discussion.